On April 8, 2016, a new 40,000sf Whole Foods Market officially opened at the new mixed-use village-style development “Goffe Mill Plaza” on South River Road. It was a widely anticipated opening with hundreds of shoppers enjoying the new site. The Goffe Mill Plaza is a redeveloped site of the former Sheraton Wayfarer Inn and Conference Center.
TFMoran provided civil/site and traffic engineering, permitting, land surveying and landscape architectural services for the redevelopment of the 16.2 acre historic site. The site was originally developed in 1744 by Colonel John Goffe, who obtained the property for his service in the French and Indian Wars. The Goffe family constructed two stone dams and a mill pond, where they operated a gristmill and a sawmill for over a hundred years. A restored historic mill building remains on the site as part of a central park design. The half mile long ADA accessible loop path connects the future residential component with the commercial, making this site a living walking community. Small pocket patios with granite benches are located to overlook the Goffe’s Mill Dams and Bowman Brook, and include historic elements with signage informing the public of its significance. Large native trees along with smaller flowering and evergreen trees were placed to frame views, provide shade and attract wildlife to the area. The Whole Foods Market, has a deck for outdoor seating which directly overlooks the restored mill, brook, dams and beautiful waterfall.
The mixed-use development plans include two new restaurants, a fitness center, a 73 unit apartment building, additional retail space connected to Whole Foods, and a bank. The Provident Bank, designed by DeStefano Architects and constructed by Sullivan Construction, opened in February. PROCON is the Design/Build contractor for the Goffe Mill Plaza.